Verify

Arbeloa admits Real Madrid can ‘play much better’ after shock defeat to Osasuna


Real Madrid manager Alvaro Arbeloa admitted his side can “play much better” after dropping points in the LaLiga title race following a 2-1 defeat to Osasuna on Saturday. 

Ante Budimir put the hosts ahead with a first-half penalty at Estadio El Sadar, before Vinícius Jr levelled in the 73rd minute – two minutes after Kylian Mbappe saw a goal ruled out for offside. 

Forward Raul García then netted a spectacular 90th-minute winner that was confirmed after a VAR check to give Osasuna their first home win over Los Blancos in 15 years.

“It wasn’t a good game for us,” Arbeloa said after the match. 

“We can do a lot more, we can play much better. It isn’t easy to do it in midweek and then a Sunday, but those are the demands, this is Real Madrid. We knew how difficult it would be to come here.”

The result means Real squandered the chance to move five points clear of rivals Barcelona. As it is, the Catalan club can leapfrog Arbeloa’s men in the table with a win over Levante on Sunday. 

The Real boss admitted the defeat was painful but insisted there was still a long way to go in the title race. 

“Nobody wants to lose of course,” Arbeloa said. 

“But it will be a long season. There’s a lot left.

“We have to keep working. “We have a lot of room for improvement, and when we aren’t at 100% any team can beat you, we’re aware of that.”

Next up for Real is the second leg of their Champions League playoff tie with Benfica on Wednesday. Last week’s contest, which saw Vinicius Jr score the only goal of the game, was marred by alleged racist comments made to the Brazilian.



Source link

Leave a Comment